About the theme
The Trusts’ work in performing arts focuses on supporting artistic practices that are emerging, underrepresented and neglected within the spectrum of theatre, music and dance. Engagements are built on strategic partnerships with institutions working across regions and within grassroots to revive, sustain and propagate art forms and practices. Additionally, iterations of programmes for long-term impact have demonstrated defined results such as furthering artistic skills of emerging practitioners, enhancement of livelihoods of artists and cascades of artistic trainings across communities for the sustainability of artistic disciplines.
Some of the projects undertaken under this vertical are:
- Inspire India Programme is a community music initiative by Shankar Mahadevan Academy The project uses music as a tool and aims to educate and nurture artistic talent of 2,000 children and aspires to train 10 young people from marginalised backgrounds keen to pursue a career as music educators
- “Transforming Culture, Transforming Lives”, by Kattaikkuttu Sangam to train young boys and girls from underrepresented communities in the heritage theatre form of Kattaikkuttu. Kattaikkuttu Sangam imparts free training to children from underprivileged districts in Tamil Nadu in the heritage theatre form of Kattaikkuttu with a focus on education, health care and preservation of the arts.
- Propagation of Dhrupad Music, in partnership with Dhrupad Sansthan to preserve and propagate the practice of Dhrupad, the oldest form within Indian classical music. Read more
- Institutional support to Attakkalari Centre for Movement Arts to establish training and practice of contemporary dance in India
- Support to regional institutions such as Ninasam and Kalavaahini with practice-based fellowships to further training and development of artists
- “Brahmaputra Raga Jazz” – an initiative to mentor emerging musicians across the northeast by Banyan Tree Events